People Housing Project (PPR) is a resettlement government program for those who are qualified and meets the housing needs of the low-income group (B40).
PPR is divided into two categories:
- To rent (as low as RM124.00 per month)
- To purchase (priced at RM 35,000.00 per unit in Peninsular Malaysia and RM 45,000.00 in Sabah and Sarawak.)
In February 2021, Datuk Zuraida Kamaruddin, Ministry of Housing and Local Government, announced that all future PPR projects would be renamed Rumah Malaysia.
The move is to ensure no houses remain unoccupied and avoid any illegal transactions of homeownership rentals.
Additionally, a total of 11 Rumah Malaysia projects comprising 4,120 units would be built nationwide, of which three are located in Johor, namely Kluang, Sembrong and Pengerang.
Things you need to know about Rumah Malaysia
1. Differences between PPR and Rumah Malaysia?
a. The built-up area would be no less than 900 sq ft, compared with around 700 sq ft currently.
b. The ministry would also adjust the rental rates throughout the country.
c. Stricter rules:
- Eligible applicants MUST occupy the houses within three months after completing the construction project.
- Applicants will be given a two-year rental period while they manage their bank loans and so on.
- If applicants still fail to obtain any financing after two years, the state government will decide whether to extend the rental period or find new applicants.
2. Similarities of PPR and Rumah Malaysia?
- Playgrounds, community halls, worship houses, and others.
- 3 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen area, 2 bathrooms.
c. Type of building:
- Urban areas: High-rise, 5 – 18 floors.
- Rural areas: Landed terrace.
3. Who can apply for Rumah Malaysia?
- Malaysian citizen.
- Aged 18 years old and above.
- Household income below RM3,000 a month.
- The petitioner has no home yet.
- Additional terms from the state government.
For more information: National Housing Department
4. Where and how to apply for Rumah Malaysia?
Interested applicants may head to these sites for more information:
- PERLIS INDERA KAYANGAN
- KEDAH DARUL AMAN
- PULAU PINANG
- PERAK DARUL RIDZUAN
- SELANGOR DARUL EHSAN
- NEGERI SEMBILAN DARUL KHUSUS
- JOHOR DARUL TAKZIM
- TERENGGANU DARUL IMAN
- KELANTAN DARUL NAIM
- PAHANG DARUL MAKMUR
- KUALA LUMPUR
- WILAYAH PERSEKUTUAN LABUAN
Note: Procedure on how to apply, entry requirements and selection methods are by their respective states.
If you’re not eligible for Rumah Malaysia, that’s not a problem!
Our agents at IQI Global are ready to help you search for the perfect home! Fill in your details below, and we’ll be in touch!