cover image source: Royal.uk
Queen Elizabeth II, who ruled the United Kingdom for 70 years, passed away at 96. She passed peacefully at Balmoral Castle, where she had spent most of the summer.
Queen Elizabeth II was born on 21st April 1926 and crowned on 2nd June 1953 in Westminster Abbey. Prince Charles, her eldest son, will reign as king after her death.
As a tribute to her passing, here are the top 10 interesting, little-known facts about the remarkable late Queen:
1. Her birthplace was not a palace.
2. She has several hobbies
Including sports like football, pigeon racing, and horseback riding.
3. Her favourite dog breed is the corgi.
4. She is the only individual in the UK who is permitted to drive without a licence.
5. Her preferred drink is a classic Dubonnet cocktail made with gin.
6. She wrote her first email in 1976 and uploaded her first Instagram photo in 2019.
7. She is an Arsenal fan.
8. She had a jaguar, two enormous turtles, an elephant and a pair of sloths.
9. Queen Elizabeth II sent almost 50,000 Christmas cards during her lifetime.
10. The Queen enjoys a cup of tea at 7:30 a.m.
The Queen’s state funeral is expected at Westminster Abbey in the heart of London ten days after her passing.
The royal family’s website has turned into a black holding page with a brief statement announcing the Queen’s passing. A black banner has also been added to government websites.